I was asked the other day how I define success in my life. I answered, “Do I feel well with where I’m at?” This applies to everything – how I feel in my body, how I feel in my work, how I feel in my relationships, you get the gist. The person pushed me a bit more to explain so I wrote some notes on what I think are key mindset ingredients for success in life. I’d like to share them with you…
- Start with WHY: I think that when you know your WHY – why you do what you do – this knowing works for you both professionally and personally. I remember listening to Simon Sinek talk about his research with companies whose performance was extraordinary. He found that most companies knew what they do and HOW they do it but very few knew WHY. Those that did know their WHY excelled. I discovered that when I understood my WHY – that I believe in challenging the status quo about living well because so many people are not well physically, emotionally and psychologically – I got focused and produced services that everyone wanted. Get to know your WHY – whether it’s changing old ways of doing things or mastering a skill – you’ll feel inspired to continue despite the challenges.
- Be Authentic: Being YOU is the most authentic thing you can do. If you say and do what you believe, then you’ll attract those who like the same. When you allow yourself to be who you are, your body and emotions fall into place and you feel well.
- Pick great people in your life: What I mean by that is CHOOSE and develop relationships with people who reflect your gifts and talents and where you need to grow in loving and growth-oriented ways. Sticking it out with toxic relationships or feeding into co-dependency will only cultivate lack and stuck-ness. Be picky. You deserve it!
- Make Your Mind Matter: Most of the time, we get off-track because we let our “monkey mind” take over. Learn tools to understand how your mind works and how you can influence your mind to have more clarity, better response, and creativity. Harnessing your mind also has many physical benefits like reducing blood pressure, anxiety, and proper blood flow and digestion.
- Push the Envelope: Growth happens when we get out of our comfort zones. Whether you face a challenge or create a challenge, you are giving yourself an opportunity to grow. When you push or challenge yourself to do something or be someone, you fire new neurons in the brain. When you stay with the learning you begin to wire the neurons in new patterns that reflect the learning. Pushing the envelope doesn’t mean you have to suddenly climb Kilimanjaro, it just means you give yourself the opportunity to grow, improve or overcome. When you keep practicing this you develop grit and confidence that are incredible skills for success (and feeling well!)
- Be Patient: I promise you, you will feel well with life when you cultivate patience. Good things require attention and hard work, but the effort doesn’t have to feel negative. You know when you are present with what you love even if there is some hard work involved it just doesn’t seem so difficult. When you are patient, you have more access to being present and therefore more opportunity to feel well about, and be in control of, your response to the situation.
- Take responsibility: Take responsibility for how you’re showing up. The more radically honest you are with yourself and the situation you face, the more control you have to respond in a way that makes sense to you. Now doesn’t that sound like freedom?
- Live by Desire instead of Fear: Desire is the greatest way to live. Fear can be a warning, but when you adopt fear as a lens on life, then being afraid will be your only outcome. Focus on your desires because they feel good. Let your imagination rest in the power of your desires and take action from this place.
I invite you to review and try on these mindsets. Begin with 2 or 3 shifts and notice what happens. When you begin your day or set your intention to BE well, then you are increasing the chances for your brain, body, emotions and psyche to support you.
Let me know how this goes and shoot me a comment below. I always read your comments and enjoy hearing about how these mindset shifts work for you.
To better days in better ways!
If this resonates with you and you’d like to overcome some of your own barriers to living the life you want, then click here and I’ll make sure we connect. And you know I like to share the love, so if you know someone who could benefit from this article then please share it! Imagine, thought by thought and act by act we are creating a more conscious world.