You could be an incredible presenter, speaker, leader or manager. You could be a great mother, father, grandparent or friend. You could have skills and talents like no other on your team or organization. But if you don’t have a hold of your mindset, none of that SuperYou is going to come through!
If you wake up feeling like things don’t work out for you or you’re not enough then it doesn’t matter how skilled or talented you are, those SuperPowers are NOT going to get a chance to shine through.
You know what I’m talking about?!
So today I want to shine a light on what Stanford psychologist Carol Dweck calls the growth mindset. One of the most basic beliefs we carry about ourselves, Dweck found in her research, has to do with how we view and inhabit what we consider to be our personality. A “fixed mindset” assumes that our character, intelligence, and creative ability are static givens which we can’t change in any meaningful way, and success is “the affirmation of that inherent intelligence, an assessment of how those givens measure up against an equally fixed standard; striving for success and avoiding failure at all costs become a way of maintaining the sense of being smart or skilled.” A “growth mindset,” on the other hand, thrives on challenge and sees failure not as evidence of unintelligence but as “a heartening springboard for growth and for stretching our existing abilities.”
With a fixed mindset, you are more susceptible to being shut off from your superpowers in challenging times. With a growth mindset, you can:
1. Have access to your SuperPowers even in challenging times because you are open to see tough situations as opportunities for growth. Your “fight or flight” reaction is less likely to be triggered so your neural network has more chance of accessing your strengths and ability to respond.
2. Turn your energy up or down. Knowing how to manage your energy is key to accessing your SuperPowers. When you’re overwhelmed or think nothing can change (fixed), your energy is frantic and dispersed. With a growth mindset, your energy can flow in the amount that is appropriate to the situation. You have more control over how you expend that energy.
3. Create the best context for your SuperPowers to be utilized. When you are able to have a developmental orientation to life, you are creating a positive context for your SuperPowers to shine and grow.
4. Expand your SuperPowers… as a result of creating that great context!
5. Live in fulfillment, grow your confidence and expand your wellbeing.
Ok, the last one is a result of enhanced SuperPowers but you get my drift 😉
I often see so many talented professionals out there rocking one area of their life, only to be suffering terribly in another with no access to their superpowers. The key is what they are believing (mindset) about the difficult situation. If they can bring a growth mindset to the challenged area, they soon begin to feel efficacy in making a change, and confidence and success are soon to follow.
One of my superpowers is helping people get unstuck. I’ll be honest with you… I can feel stuck too! Gasp! But what I do is bring on the growth mindset and suddenly I have access to my superpowers which then helps me get unstuck. Takes practice AND do-able!
If this really resonates and you want the steps to connect you to your growth mindset and superpowers, I’ve got a couple of great options for you. You can click on my VIP Mindset Retreat Days or 90-Day Mindset Breakthrough program to learn more. Or book a Breakthrough Session and we can discuss what is the right support for you.
Looking forward to seeing your cape flying out there!
If this resonates with you and you’d like to overcome some of your own barriers to living the life you want, then click here and I’ll make sure we connect. And you know I like to share the love, so if you know someone who could benefit from this article then please share it! Imagine, thought by thought and act by act we are creating a more conscious world.