If you live in the northern hemisphere, your vital energy is very low in January. Although we’ve moved past the winter solstice, the light of the sun is beginning to wax again, but just barely. For that reason, I would suggest that if you want to be and do new things in 2023, begin those ideas in the realm of dreams and intentions right now – new things are much easier to start in the spring, especially if you need to change some old, ingrained habits!
The worst thing you can do is, yet again, push through your physical and emotional needs. It’s a recipe for getting down on yourself quickly!
So, here is my January Prescription to help you bring balance and a strong mindset to the darker month:
- Meet yourself where you are. Remove any expectations that you should feel cheerful and full of energy, and honour what is happening for you right now.
- Wanting/needing more rest or alone time is natural and is best encouraged in the darker months. No shame or guilt!
- Engage in physical activity that you genuinely enjoy.
- Spend time outside during daylight hours. Breathe in the fresh air and find beauty in the natural world.
- Nourish your body with warm, cooked, feel-good seasonal foods.
- Nourish your soul with meditation or whatever connects you to your deeper self.
If and when necessary, get support from counselors, coaches, healers, or trusted friends. Holding your emotions inside can make you sick. Make sure you are sharing them safely.
The above prescription is tried and true! I hope this comes as a healing balm for your January.