I am a sensitive one. With all that is going on in the world, I could feel my heart getting heavy and my spirit feeling down. But a memory came back to me of something I came across long ago when I was studying Buddhism. There is a traditional practice that Buddhists focus on to open their hearts especially in challenging times…contemplation.
Today I want to share with you the 6 contemplations for developing an Awakened Heart. Please take a moment to read through the following practices with presence and intention:
- Consider that all sentient Beings have been our mothers.
- Think of the kindness of others.
- Repay the kindness of others.
- Develop loving-kindness by contemplating the delightful qualities of others.
- Contemplate compassion, which is the desire that everyone be free from suffering.
- Commit ourselves without question to following these instructions.
Practicing the Contemplations
I invite you to practice these 6 contemplations daily for a week. When the week is complete, take notice of some of the changes you experience. It could be that you feel more relaxed, present, and/or kind. It could be your thoughts become more focused on compassion rather than on what is wrong or what there is to fear. Do you feel an expansion in your heart?
I’ll be curious to hear from you. What was your experience like? Please carry on the conversation below by leaving your thoughts and comments.
May you be healthy, may you be happy, and may you be free from suffering.